Broadleaf Plantain - better than Neosporin?

Medicinal wild plants - poison ivy, burns, stomach aches and more
k-villa

Broadleaf Plantain - better than Neosporin?

Postby k-villa » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:47 am

Very very very rarely, yes extremely rare, do I get cut by a knife. In this instance I was cutting a thick plastic wire tie and got a little frustrated with the knife I was using and cut towards my opposite hand. When the plastic cut through with a lot of pressure behind it, well it hit my finger and went good and deep while leaving a flappy piece of skin. I tried to continue to work but it was bleeding all over the project at hand.

With gauze, rubbing alcohol to kill any germs and a tape, I sealed the finger back up. Over the next 3 days I applied Neosporin to help make sure an infection didn't happen under the top folded skin but also applied pieces of Aloe from my wife's plant over the next few days to help with healing.

Then I remembered reading about the Broadleaf Plantain, a "weed" that grows in everyone's back yard, and how it was used during the US Civil War and others in battle wounds for it's healing properties. On day number 4, I took a small piece of leaf, pulverized it with my teeth into a fine wet mince and then put it under a band aid over night. Within 12 hours it was honestly skin to skin re-attached and quite amazingly healed to a good 60+ percent. This was the 1st I've ever used it and worked better than Aloe and the Neosporin.

My second use was at a recent baseball game. I had a small cut on my palm from ripping out a fence and it was starting to get infected. So much so that when I bent my hand, I felt the sting from the start of the infection. I easily found a plantain, took a band aid out of my wallet (a must when having a young boy around and easy to carry in the wallet) and applied some chewed up, minced plantain to the wound for about 2 hours. Infection gone and wound healed quickly.

Recommend trying it... let me know....
Attachments
broad leaf plantain healed cut to finger.JPG
large garden broad leaf plantain.JPG
Last edited by k-villa on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

k-villa

Re: Broadleaf Plantain - better than Neosporin?

Postby k-villa » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:47 pm

A better pic of one of my garden plantains. I kept another section as a plantain garden that was to be wild flowers as a plantain patch along with clover that I plan on drying for tea once ready. Also discovered best to eat young leaves after a rainstorm or not during a drought (notice difference in leaves from below picture to the one in the first post of this topic). The leaves hold water for the plant, are more tender, easier to swallow and have a slight nutty taste to them. Seems like a pretty amazing plant, curious to see if it works well for others with cuts and infections and healing - haven't cut myself in a while to test again, but twice (one a good size gash) healed the skin extremely quick about 4-5 days in with the first few days of using Neosporin and the aloe plant - the plantain worked better than either.

garden plantain july 2016 NJ.JPG
Broadleaf plantain, garden july 2016 NJ
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Return to “Medicinal”