It's Baseball Season - It's Stance - It's Archery

Bow set up questions, bow mechanics, archery related info, etc.
ca-archer
Site Admin

It's Baseball Season - It's Stance - It's Archery

Postby ca-archer » Tue May 03, 2016 11:54 am

At a recent little league baseball game I saw a pitcher throwing pitches for the first time. He was told to move his left leg back towards his butt direction, come back to same place with that left leg and then go forward. That's the way another, older kid pitcher was doing it. The new young pitcher got some strikes, but a lot of walks including a multitude of scoring walks. Simply he was off balance on his stance, no base, no starting point and therefore no repetition in his pitching.

Now the other pitcher was use to pitching that way and had a repetitive motion which helped lead him to accuracy. The more we do something the better we become. Tell that same young walking pitcher to do the cross leg and pitch 10,000 times and he'll be throwing strikes. We even learn how to throw and hit opposite hand if we do it enough.

However if you told this young new pitcher, to plant his back foot on the rubber of the pitching mound and throw forward like you "always" do, I would be willing to bet his strike numbers would have gone substantially.

At the top of the pitching mound, there is a piece of white rubber for foot placement. Getting of a solid stance at the base of this rubber can do 3 things:

One: for a brief moment, it takes his mind off the game. Stops from looking around, feeling nervous, helps focus, and says oh is the side of my foot planted squarely on the pitching rubber, look at something else for a minute.

Two: helps with repetition in the fact he is throwing the same distance and height every time. It now looks the same on each throw from on top of the mound and just as far. Not standing mid way on the mound or off to the side.

Third: It gives him a solid planting, a foundation to start from. His rear foot gets most of the weight, square, firmly planted in front of the rubber. He then moves forward and transfers weight to other front leg and through out body, just like the steps of archery all the way up to follow through, which is also highly important (another article)

I actually learned the real important of stance through NASP certification. It is step one literately. As long as consistent, your shot will be as well. Both mine and my buddy's scores were probably some of the best during our certification, for we were there with girl scouts of whom most were learning how to shoot a bow for the first time. Our scores were high, but we made them even better once we paid attention to our stance. It was eye opening and a noticeable difference for both of us.

Two types of basic stance with the most common having your feet shoulder width apart, toes inline with each other. Slight bend to knees and even slight pushing down feeling in hips. Do not bend knees so much to make it an uncomfortable feeling. Solid but comfortable stance. The other is a slight triangular opening in the chest area, simply move the left off line and back 2-3 inches (avg person) or up to 5 inches if really tall.

What is pitching? Being able to throw consistently the same pitch and get strikes and ultimately outs. What is archery? Being able to consistently do something over and over again accurately. Where does is start? In stance. Think stance is an important starting point in batting? So many fail to start with checking and repeating their "consistent" stance.

Stance is a KEY part of form and ultimate performance. Be sure to pay attention to your stance, make it muscle memory and then check in on it every now and then. :ugeek:

Return to “Concept Archery Tech Department”