Ground Stalking Bears w the Bow

What we love the most.
k-villa

Ground Stalking Bears w the Bow

Postby k-villa » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:48 pm

NJs 1st bow bear season since 1971.
More to come...
Last edited by k-villa on Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

k-villa

Re: Ground Stalking Bears w the Bow

Postby k-villa » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:49 am

2 black bear permits purchased (on sale today at 10am) and had a hard time picking zones. Tried for 3 (each were $2 and a $1.59 for shipping) for I really like the way up NE corner of NJ. On one gun season hunt I saw lots of tracks in slow including a fresh track that I followed for a long while for the bear to only go onto private property. This year I took zones close to home and mid North zone, believe the permits are good for gun season too if not used. I'm after bear this year and with the bow preferably - the opportunities I've had, oh.... In addition to stalking I have some baiting techniques in mind.

Two shots out of the Concept P50 at 40yards and arrows were nearly touching. Put the bow back. Think the P50 is the best bow to date concept has made?

Deer opened Saturday and I had no time to get out nor any time to get gear ready. I went out yesterday for a stalk and drew back twice. I got out at 7:05pm at 7:10 I drew back on a doe but they wearily walked off as a yearling caught my draw. At 7:30ish another group of does came out into the field. Almost and it was good to get out if you can even call it that?

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:49 am

Ground stalking left with the non-production of Autumn Olive Berries this year. Late summer we did a 3D shoot and saw bear droppings with olive berry seeds in them which gave me the idea. Very few were around then but bear love them. Yesterday I found one tree that had only a handful and now I'll wait to see what the trail camera tells me over bait.

Yesterday set up two bait sites. One by overgrown fields that had 3 droppings of bear scat, the other by a neighbors house who sees a 500+ lb bear every week along with several others. Ever hear of bunker for bear? Hung a couple of bunker fish to make it challenging for the bear and also maybe keep them returning for a while. Also burgers stuffed under heavy logs to make them work for it a while. Also put out freezer burnt chicken thighs, chicken livers, burgers and venison parts. Meat and fish hanging from trees looks like some sort of witchcraft project - for bear that is. Both sites are sitting a little above, one I'll be nested in to an over grown field of poke berries and very well concealed, the other sitting atop a hill in front of a huge fallen tree. Going back up mid-week to check cameras and freshen up the sites.
Attachments
bear bait 2016 bunker venison hanging trees.JPG
bear bait 2016 chicken liver and thighs.JPG
bear scat 2016.JPG

Russman

Postby Russman » Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:54 pm

Hanging stuff is good idea to get smell out further, and what you break your balls to move even a small bear will push aside with one paw, hanging is good but needs to be just about in reach so they work but will eventually get it other wise they are like a dog playing tug a war if you always win they will loose interest and move on

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:20 pm

Bears Galore - half a day and were hitting the 1st site by the road. On day 2 the bear messed with my trail camera and it ended up facing down. My second site in the field was destroyed - gnawed ropes and over turned logs, unfortunately and I don't know why, my camera only recorded me and then stopped. I was really excited to see what was hitting this site, for I came across more bear scat with berry seeds here and that site is where I had most of the meat hanging from trees - wanted to see how hard to get down and help better determine size when standing. More bait out today and then freshening up on Sunday for Monday morning hunt. More pics I'm sure to come Sunday... and hopefully a pic of something dead Monday with the Concept P50.
Attachments
bear and camera.JPG
bear-4-road.JPG
bear-3-road.JPG
bear-2-road.JPG
bear-1-road.JPG
Last edited by k-villa on Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:26 pm

Site 2 in the field with a 13-14 yard shot through a beautiful shooting hole buried in pokeweed berry "blind". Field is nothing but pokeweed berries and one of the bears favorite foods.
Attachments
bear scat with seeds.JPG
shoot through hole in poke berry bushes.jpg

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:13 pm

One shot a 6:59pm (last legal minute of shooting light) at 15 yards full arrow set up with magnus head and one 10 yard pin out of five lit up. This was the shot. Bear arrow n quiver ready.
Attachments
IMG_5558.JPG
IMG_5557.JPG
IMG_5555.JPG

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:40 am

Looks like 3 different bears at bait site 1. Berry field I was unable to check.
Attachments
IMG_5573.JPG
IMG_5574.JPG
IMG_5576.JPG
IMG_5577.JPG
IMG_5578.JPG

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:34 am

Ten mins after baiting yesterday
Attachments
IMG_5582.JPG

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:36 pm

Yesterday a bear ten mins after baiting. Today the opener and 11.5 hrs of sitting and not a single bear seen. Heavy winds all day and/or 3 other hunters earlier pushed them out?

Return to “Bowhunting”