How I Quarter a Deer - No sawing/bone breaking, hair removal (IMAGES)

From how to butcher in the field to fine dinning, tips and techniques you use. Types of cuts of meat, knives and aides you use, what parts, long term freezing storage, etc.
k-villa

How I Quarter a Deer - No sawing/bone breaking, hair removal (IMAGES)

Postby k-villa » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:25 pm

*Note knowing I say no sawing / bone breaking, I do use a saw to cut the tail and also the head off, but You Can follow and cut at bone joints in these two areas as well as I have in the past. Sawing seems quicker for these two areas.

Purpose - no sawed bone hard chips getting into your meat. No or very little hair on any meat that you bring in for fine cutting.

If you do or know differently please share.
Attachments
1 hair removal wire brush venison .JPG
As the deer hangs use a wire brush to remove any hair. Hair will stay in brush or fall off of meat. When skinning cut inside to outside when slicing hide. Some minor poss hair removal needed prior to refrigeration once quartered.
1 hair removal wire brush venison .JPG (655.92 KiB) Viewed 348 times
1 quartering - cut knee caps.JPG
Cut around knee - tip is to get side and top-inside ligament. The top inside ligament is where the hold up is if problems bending. Bend up and snaps/breaks. Finish removal of lower leg with hair. No hair is clean butchering.
1 quartering - cut knee caps.JPG (560.17 KiB) Viewed 348 times
2 quartering - front quarter.JPG.JPG
Front leg continue pulling out towards you and cutting up toward and around big shoulder blade.
2 quartering - front quarter.JPG.JPG (792.27 KiB) Viewed 350 times
3 quartering - cut V behinde tendor lions.JPG
Cut sharp V up from top of tender loins. Work to back side of deer. Cut slit in both sides of last rib to use as handle. When chest cavity drops you have handles.
3 quartering - cut V behinde tendor lions.JPG (565.33 KiB) Viewed 350 times
4 quartering - cut parellel to hip bone.JPG.JPG
Cut parallel to hip bone find ball joint. Work the joint. Cut close to the hip bone to finish.
4 quartering - cut parellel to hip bone.JPG.JPG (798.45 KiB) Viewed 350 times
5 quartering - two rear hams.JPG.JPG
Two hams one with hip bone
5 quartering - two rear hams.JPG.JPG (961.96 KiB) Viewed 350 times
6 quartering - refrigerator tenderizing.JPG.JPG
Refrigerate 3-12 days (32-36 degrees) depending on meat/deer (age or rutting buck) or on YOUR time. Trick cut rear tendon to fold long rear leg to fit in the frig esp if a small one which is all that is needed - often free.
6 quartering - refrigerator tenderizing.JPG.JPG (563.67 KiB) Viewed 350 times
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Return to “Butchering”