Jim Doughtery - Bowhunting Legend, Archery Hall of Famer

Share what you have or what you know or anything dating back on the history of the sport.
k-villa

Jim Doughtery - Bowhunting Legend, Archery Hall of Famer

Postby k-villa » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:46 pm

On, September 21, 2015, at the age of 78, legendary bowhunter and Archery Hall of Famer, Jim Doughtery lost his battle against cancer. Like many of us, Jim started by bowhunting locally in his home state, California. Though out the years, his bowhunting adventures lead him on hunts through out much of the United States and a countries aboard. Jim Doughtery was one of the most recognized names in the archery world and he will be sadly missed by many.

He is well known as a great story teller and writer, writing the back page article “Trails End” in Petersen's Bowhunting magazine for over 25 years. I like many, never threw the magazine away until I had read his article. He wrote about his many adventures, often just little side stories of the hunts, some of which were stories of success, others of failure and mishaps. His Trails End articles were full of tradition, class and all done respectably. I believe as he aged, possibly more and more of a touch of stubborn old man, this-is-how-it-is, no BS stories were written. Some seemed a little dry and often with a sense of whit and humor, the kind of humor that seems lost with many younger people today. He wrote so many good, touching articles that in 2007, Petersen's released a book titled, “The Best of Trail's End”. The man killed a cape buffalo bull with a recurve, how sick and cool is that!

In addition to being a great story teller, in 1960 he was a P&Y measurer even before the P&Y club was official? How's that work? He was the Club’s Executive Secretary from 1969-1970, Pope & Young Club President from 1976-1984, and the Club’s Past President Director from 1984-2002. On April 15, 2005, the Club awarded Jim the special status of Honorary Lifetime Senior Membership — just the fourth person to receive this honor. Jim was inducted into the Archery Hall of Fame in 1997, where many of his other accomplishments are listed, including, but not limited to: National Bowhunter Education Foundation Board Member; American Archery Council President and Vice-President; Archery Manufacturers and Merchants Organization Board Member; International Bowhunters Organization Board Member; Safari Club International Bowhunters Vice-President; Archery Incorporated President and Vice-President; National Archery Museum Board Member; California Bowmen Hunters and State Archery Association Vice-President; and Bear Archery Bowhunting Council Chairman.

jim doughtery trails end volume I.jpg
jim doughtery trails end volume I.jpg (21.33 KiB) Viewed 917 times

jim doughtery cape buffalo.jpg
jim doughtery cape buffalo.jpg (107.36 KiB) Viewed 917 times

Archery Hall of Fame site - great read:
http://www.archeryhalloffame.com/Dougherty%20Jim.html

1960 Youtube Video of Jim Doughtery on an Alaskan Hunt - a 50 yard caribou shot with a recurve!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Td6DX72jQ38
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Return to “Archery History”