Happy Saint Patricks Day - Corned Veniosn Recipe

General recipes and of course we could never quite duplicate the ten star rating, but we'll try. Mom-moms, homemade, baking, jerky, all welcome.
ca-archer
Site Admin

Happy Saint Patricks Day - Corned Veniosn Recipe

Postby ca-archer » Sat Feb 27, 2016 6:15 am

Now I learned this recipe from an ol' timer NW Nebraskan and I must say he was cooking it slow and steady, long and steady in some type of thermos looking cooking device. It came out ever so good and the next day we had it for reubens on rye bread and I honestly can't say which was ever better. I don' t know for sure if I ever got the ol' timer's exact recipe, and may have altered as mine often does, but here's the jist:

The Morton's Quick Tender version with a nj-rattlr adjustment which by all means can be modified - carrots, parsnips, red potatoes, large quarter slices of white or yellow onions, or combo of any. My venison roast are only 3 and saved for once per year - St. Patty's day. I have made this with steak cuts and it has come out just as good or slightly under - like big round meat for this, especially slicing and sandwiches - something about a roast or 3 in a crock pot.

CORN VENSION - Servings: 6-7
3 Venison roasts or 5-8 steaks(london broil best, or football / other roasts silver skin removed) 4 lbs was my total.
3.5 tbsp. (4lbs of meat) Morton’s Quick Tender, (add more during cooking if not salty enough - careful, no more than 1tbsp per pound of meat)
4 tbsp. brown sugar
1 tbsp. ground black pepper, I like semi-course pepper corns
1 tsp. ground paprika
1 tsp. ground bay leaves or 2/3 whole
1 tsp. ground allspice
1-2 tsp. garlic powder

1 small head of cabbage, big slices or 1/8 wedges
small bag of mini-carrots, cut in half long ways
2.5lbs small red potatoes quartered or large bite size pieces
2 white onions quartered (optional)

Preparation: In a bowl mix all ingredients other than veggies well. Add to a gallon size ziplock bag and add steak. Work dry rub and steaks then put in refrigerator for 2-5 days working rub in and around all piece once daily.

Cooking: I prefer crock pot method. Put meat and spices in bottom of crock pot. Put in potatoes carrots or any other hard slow cooking veggies and fill with water to 2/3 full on crock pot. Cook on low for 4-6 hours until meat 2/3 done - slightly falling apart thin easy slicing meat is done, but before then the last 1-2 hours add in big slices or even wedges of cabbage on top - serve when cabbage cooked by not mush.
Attachments
corned-venison-package-2016.JPG
corned venison package 6.5lbs
corned-venison-package-2016.JPG (1.42 MiB) Viewed 657 times

k-villa

Re: Happy Saint Patricks Day - Corned Veniosn Recipe

Postby k-villa » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:26 pm

My recipe turns out a little different than Russmans - more of a dipping corned venison and this year I had celery and cauliflower in the frig that had to get used so that too went into the crock pot.

I did however use Russ man's cabbage on a tray with olive oil and seasoning and baked it for 40 minutes at 400° often flipping and mixing the cabbage and oil. I then place the cabbage on the bottom of the bowl scooped out the vegetables and broth and placed the cut corned venison on top. Add fresh rye bread or other fresh bread with butter and you're golden.

The next day homemade Ruebin sandwhiches are always the best
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 637 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 637 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2 MiB) Viewed 637 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2 MiB) Viewed 637 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 637 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 637 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 637 times
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:31 pm

I am not Polish like Russman. I do normally make it after Saint patties day for we are not Irish and I like buying the cabbage and potatoes at 75 to 90% off went on sale and usually buy a package or two of corn beef as well. Here's a another picture of Russman's corn venison
Russman's corned venison post: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=205
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 637 times
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:27 pm

Absolutely the best Reuben sandwich I've ever had.

In cast iron skillet I toasted the rye bread in butter and spiced with garlic, paparika, and a little rosemary. Sliced up the baked cabbage and fried them up with the corned venison. Modified the Russian dressing by adding apple cider vinegar, mayonnaise, ketchup, and spices. Added it to the cabbage and sandwiched all together to go under the broiler.
Attachments
IMG_3687.JPG
IMG_3687.JPG (596.81 KiB) Viewed 626 times
IMG_3685.JPG
Corned Venison Rueben sandwich
IMG_3685.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 626 times
IMG_3684.JPG
IMG_3684.JPG (2.08 MiB) Viewed 626 times
IMG_3682.JPG
IMG_3682.JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 626 times
IMG_3681.JPG
IMG_3681.JPG (2.16 MiB) Viewed 626 times