Grandma Wille's German Rouladens

General recipes and of course we could never quite duplicate the ten star rating, but we'll try. Mom-moms, homemade, baking, jerky, all welcome.
k-villa

Grandma Wille's German Rouladens

Postby k-villa » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:50 am

Grandma Wille was full Sicilian, but Grandpa Wille was full German, so maybe it was a Grampa Wille's recipe made by Grandma Wille? Either way, it's the cat's meow.

Prep time, unfortunately about 45 mins but well worth it. Add 40-60mins cook time to prep time.

2lbs of venison or steak, 1/4" to 1/2" steaks flattened with a meat hammer
1 yellow onion thinly sliced
1 pack of bacon - cook until about 80% done
mustard
3 beef bullion cubes
worchestershire sauce
garlic powder
spices for flavoring

In each flattened piece of meat, add a 1/2 slice of bacon, a few onion slices and add mustard. Roll up and bind with a tooth pick. Flour the roll (I add a few spices to the flour). Brown the rolls on both sides in hot oil on medium heat (the darker the brown the better the flavor - make sure you see smoke before flipping). Add to liquid sauce and simmer for 40-60 minutes. Liquid sauce or any white/yellow sauce is fine - my sauce was 2 beef bullion cubes, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, 1/5 stick butter, olive oil, paprika, cayenne pepper, and a small amount of rosemary. Salt to taste. Prior to the rouladens finishing, cook up macaroni. I add another beef bullion cube to the boiling water for the noodles and spices to add flavor to the marconi. Just before done I added some peas for an additional veggie which is optional and something Grandma didn't do. She did however often add chick peas to noodle dishes, as I often do, but I didn't think it'd go well with this dish. Strain noodles, place rouladens on top of noodles, and add lots of sauce. As you cut the meat with a fork, it falls apart with bacon and onions and steak mixing with the flavored noodles. Fresh homemade bread and butter dipped in the flavored sauce with this dish would be like heaven. Enjoy
Attachments
6 rolardins finished with noodles.JPG
6 rolardins finished with noodles.JPG (513.75 KiB) Viewed 499 times
5 rolardins brewing.JPG
5 rolardins brewing.JPG (346.99 KiB) Viewed 499 times
4 rolardin broth.JPG
4 rolardin broth.JPG (340.54 KiB) Viewed 499 times
3 rolardins browning.JPG
3 rolardins browning.JPG (565.38 KiB) Viewed 499 times
2 rolardins meat onions mustard.JPG
2 rolardins meat onions mustard.JPG (418.9 KiB) Viewed 499 times
1 rolardins raw meat.JPG