'Up North's' Sporting Journal 2015

For your records or to share with others, mark time, temps, moon phases, how many seen, etc.
Up North

'Up North's' Sporting Journal 2015

Postby Up North » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:04 pm

This is a great way to journal and share all of your sporting stories in one place. I'm glad it is a part of this forum site.

I bow hunt (with a Concept Archery Bow) and gun hunt deer, small game hunt, freshwater fish, canoe, kayak, outback camp, bow fish, outback cook, ice fish, Hike, snowshoe, Dutch Oven cook and play with all sorts of fire, buy-sell-trade sporting goods, build stuff myself, service my own sporting equipment, and all sorts more. Most importantly I love Jesus, my wife and my children.

2015 is almost over but there is plenty of adventure to be had yet this year. And 2016 will bring a whole lot more. see you back here soon.
Concept Archery - The Believer
Concept Archery - Mini-29
Concept Archery - C-32

One of a kind, Hand made, Waterworth Hickory Longbow

Up North

11/21/15 "Hunter Rescue Unit"

Postby Up North » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:04 pm

Over the summer I spotted some decent bucks out my back window, including a 150" (my guess) giant. I wanted to keep him around so I talked my wife into letting me plant a food plot in the back yard.
Over the following weeks, the food plot grew and drew the interest of the neighborhood deer. Though I had stands set up on the property, I had the darndest of luck seeing deer while I was in the stand. I hunted elsewhere and did well to start filling the freezer with two deer on a suburban property that I have permission to hunt.
Along came this saturday the 21st. Opening day of firearms deer season by me. My brother was planning to sit in a blind on my property with my nephew to try and get him his first deer. Those plans fell through. So instead of going to a property 30 miles away, I stayed close to home. Really close to home.
Steadily dropping temps, our first snowfall of the year, and other hunter traffic in the area had me excited for opening morning in my yard. I posted a hub blind under a white pine a couple weeks ago and the deer had become plenty accustomed to it. I was up early and in the blind an hour before legal light. Cozy and coffee filled, I sat waiting for that magic moment. Well, a 'moment' came about half an hour into daylight. Yep, I had a full bladder and no where to "go". Luckily, the wind was in my face and the blind door wasn't. I opened the door and took care of business. That was great but a half hour later, the same moment came again. As I set my rifle against the blind wall and stood up, I caught a glance out the window of a deer. Nature was going to have to wait. An 8 pt buck had come in to the plot. Not a monster, but a nice trophy in the land of suburban combat hunting. I picked the rifle back up and took aim. One loud blast and my morning was wrapped up in a nice smoky bow.
That would have been a story in itself, but the day had more in store. My neighbor and his friend were out hunting that day as well. The evening hunt rolled around and it found them out on a couple large public hunting areas. Their situations were very different. My neighbor was so inundated with other hunters that he took to still-hunting to boost his motivation. Sure enough, he bagged his first still-hunted deer. And the smart guy decided to take his Toyota Corolla to the hunting ground instead of his Chevy Silverado. No place to put a bloody deer in a Corolla. I'm on my way to rescue him in my not-much-bigger Toyota Highlander. The difference was that I had a hitch rack. As I'm preparing to head out, he calls me. "I need a big favor. Bigger than helping drag a deer. My friend is out on the river property and he is lost in the dark." I knew this wetland property he referred to and packed insulated rubber knee boots as well as an extra flashlight, compass and GPS to get me home safe too. First stop, lost friend rescue. Turned to be an easy task for me, but my neighbor's friend was scared and cold, really cold. He went the wrong way out of the treestand and got up to his knees in water. Now its 15 degrees and his feet are in danger. I got him back to the trail and back to his vehicle. Now for my neighbor. Not a problem there either, though he only needed a meat wagon. Back home I go. 8 point down, a friend rescued and some meat hauled. All in an opening-days work for the newly minted Hunter Rescue Unit.
Concept Archery - C-32

ca-archer
Site Admin

Re: 'Up North's' Sporting Journal 2015

Postby ca-archer » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:58 am

Interesting and memorable 1st day for sure. Congrats on the back yard 8pt.

Up North

Thanksgiving and '15 Rifle Season Continued

Postby Up North » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:12 pm

After a memorable opening day, I took a few days off from hunting and went to work. Wait, did I just say that? :shock: Anyway, our family thanksgiving plans included heading to my in-laws for Thanksgiving dinner and more hunting on my sister-in-laws new property. With my buck tag burned, I was only able to hunt with my sister-in-law in view in order to abide by the "group hunting" rule. It allowed me to keep hunting even though I didn't have a tag,...and therefore using my sister-in-law's tag if a buck happened along. She wanted the meat so she was happy to have another hunter out there to increase the odds of filling her freezer. I could have stayed in and slept, drank, or otherwise relaxed or goofed off. But in the very northern part of my state, I really feel alive in the outdoors. I tend to freeze my arse off up there. But the beauty, the fresh air, the silence seems like nowhere else. The firs and pines seem bigger, the snow whiter, the ravines deeper and wider. With the exception of my quest for venison for my sister in law, I didn't care if I shot anything. Just then "crunch, crunch, crunch, Ka-BOOM!"
Freezer=filled.
Concept Archery - C-32

ca-archer
Site Admin

Postby ca-archer » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:12 pm

Wait a second, you can fill someone else's tag? Unheard of, and legal? Sheeesh. This year in NJ we now have to fill out a paper tag upon kill saying it's ours, then call it in or go online to check it in. How the paper tag makes me check it in I don't know. I could just throw it away when home and butcher the deer, though I'd never do that. I thought that is how game wardens make their living, ticketing the buddy's tag shooters.

Up North

Postby Up North » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:16 am

From The regulations book:

Group Hunting Law
It is illegal to kill game for another person except during a firearm deer season when any member
of a group deer hunting party may kill a deer for another member of the party. Group hunting
is not legal for persons hunting with bows and crossbows. All participants must be licensed
and each must possess a firearm, except that a mentor and a mentee hunting under the Hunting
Mentorship Program must share one firearm (see page 12 for Hunting Mentorship Program
rules). Members of a group deer hunting party should also agree in advance that a tag holder is
willing to use their tag on a deer killed by another member of the party.
The following conditions are established by law to ensure that hunters are actively participating in the
hunt, are in the field, and do not harvest more deer than the group has tags for:
• A group deer hunting party must be two or more hunters who are hunting together within
sight or voice contact at all times. Temporary loss of voice or visual contact for a reasonable
time due to terrain or weather conditions is acceptable. Hunters may not kill deer for persons
who are not out in the field actively hunting with the party or are at other locations apart
from the area where the hunter killed the deer.
• Hunters may not use cellular phones, special free radio communications, or other mechanical
or electronic amplifying devices (except hearing aids) to get someone to tag a deer. It is legal
to use electronic devices for reasons other than getting someone to tag a deer.
• The hunter for whom the deer is killed must possess a valid unused carcass tag for the type
(i.e., buck or antlerless) of deer killed and valid for the zone, DMU and type of land where
the deer is killed.
• The hunter killing the deer may not leave the deer unattended until after the deer is tagged
and the tag is validated according to the deer carcass tagging instructions (page 13). A hunter
is attending a deer if the hunter can see the deer.
• Convicted felons cannot participate in group deer hunting or allow use of their tag by anyone
else, because felons cannot possess a firearm. People participating only as deer drivers are not
required to possess firearms or hunting licenses.

NJ-Rattler, ie: all legal :geek:
Concept Archery - C-32

ca-archer
Site Admin

Postby ca-archer » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:08 pm

Never said it was illegal just strange. I like it

Up North

Postby Up North » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:22 pm

Merry Christmas all! My employer does a company shut down between Christmas and New Years so Im home for a little while and looking forward to a rest. I am torn between doing much-needed cleaning/home projects and getting in some last ditch bowhunting. The sign is still in my local (backyard) area. The deer are on the camera (at least does). No bucks. I hate to say it but I think I'm done for the season. Another buck tag eaten. Time to clean and pack away the gear. If it ever gets cold enough, I'll be hitting the ice and doing some hardwater fishing. Could always take a hike with a .22 in hand. Yeah, that sounds good.
Concept Archery - C-32

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:37 pm

bowhunt at least a few days if you can. it's the last.
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Return to “Hunting - Personal Yearly Journals”