NJ-rattler Fall/Winter 2015-16

For your records or to share with others, mark time, temps, moon phases, how many seen, etc.
ca-archer
Site Admin

NJ-rattler Fall/Winter 2015-16

Postby ca-archer » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:08 pm

Mon, Nov 23 - Assunpink
Yesterday I took a new hunter out trying to get his first deer. He had a doe permit for unit 15 and no property to hunt. We headed to Assunpink WMA for a full day sit. Saturday's scouting looked more promising than I had expected for this was a property that the state stocks birds on too. We saw an ok amount of sign; track, scraps and droppings. Left at 4am for 1hr drive. Set up in dark and was about 30 degrees cold. At 10am I decided to try and do a small drive for we were hunting a wooded funnel with a swamp on our left and a field on our right. I made it half way before having to turn around due to swamps and thorns.

Lunch

Afternoon sit we went to the other side of the swamp which we thought looked good and so we set up the ground blind. An hour after sitting I noticed a small olive green string dangling 15 yards off to the side of the blind. I look up and there was a stand almost directly above us. I must say it was a well hidden hang on. We decided to stay for it was already 3:30 by this time. I needed to leave 10 minutes before dark for a parent teacher conference and so I decided to do one last drive being we didn't see any deer up to this point. I walked about at 1000 yards down to a powerline and started towards the blind. Within a 800 yard walk, I passed 3 treestands. No deer seen.

I'm starting a new bait pile for him up here by me and we're trying again in a few weeks on private property this time. Sadly and very sadly to me, I lost my SOG knife. It's a discontinued model and on ebay they go for $30-35 but I had it for probably 6+ years. Ironically enough I won one off of ebay for $15 and it was green which I never saw before. I was hoping to keep it pristine but now looks like my new knife. The USA made, SOG Flash II is a work horse, can use it for prying without worry of snapping, can keep fairly sharp, and spring assist is great.

ca-archer
Site Admin

Re: NJ-rattler Fall/Winter 2015-16

Postby ca-archer » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:55 pm

Thanksgiving morning - pheasant hunting with the club on Whiskey Lane. Dogs were excited but too many dogs and they stayed in. Tris had a good time. One miss on a hen bird and one chucker taken.

ca-archer
Site Admin

Postby ca-archer » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:18 am

Goats goats and more goats at one of my two hunting spots. Spent 45 mins talking to the farmer - they're free ranging and I can help motivate him to build a fence by helping him build the fence. I'll be pulling my stand for the goats are eating all bait within 30 minutes.

ca-archer
Site Admin

Postby ca-archer » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:07 pm

Mon, Dec 7
1st day of 6 day gun season, 29 degrees
I get a big pile of warm clothes out the night before. Get thermos ready for hot cocoa and one for coffee. Make two P&J sandwiches and some snacks. 20 min chore getting him up at 5am. Call him out of school. Get him dressed in 3 to 4 layers. Short brisk walk to ground blind in the dark us both carrying arm fulls. Daylight comes and I forgot his book, the one he wanted to complete in four days and finish while hunting. The one that we talked about all the day before. By 7:15 with frozen fingers from playing my phone instead, we headed 3 miles back home, him to stay, me now in the blind solo. Maybe this afternoon he'll rejoin me. Age 9. One more year to be Jersey legal than I think he'll be out every time.

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:10 pm

Opening day six day firearm. Big 8 down. Hollands on gun club property.

2015_opening_day_8pt_web.jpg
2015_opening_day_8pt_web.jpg (884.52 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

ca-archer
Site Admin

Postby ca-archer » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:12 pm

9 days of shotgun season, 6 buck/doe days and three doe (hunted 2 out of 3 doe days).

big buck down opening day - lots of meat - not, the deer was sick and dying. Ethiopian skinny on the rear hams. hard cysts on both sides of rib bones and ankle.

few days here and there for does, buck, spike anything - nothing. one night 3 does came in right at dart and by the time under me way to dark to see crosshairs or make an ethical shot.

wed nice day, worked. thursday pooring rain and stalked a 150 acre parcel. tris and i to hunt afternoon but pooring rain so stalked for an hour. Friday 2 man stalk covering 600 acres saw one doe.
Attachments
HUNT0006.JPG
me putting out more corn in rain, gun covered? under a tree limb
HUNT0006.JPG (714.33 KiB) Viewed 1357 times

ca-archer
Site Admin

Postby ca-archer » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:17 pm

pheasant two more stockings and two tuesdays to go. the dogs have been seeing guns and orange and wearing bells and depressed. deer was donated to the family and we're thankful. roughly 3 in the freezer minus what we ate which hasn't been much. pheasant hunting should be more plentiful on game. tbp

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:59 pm

was to go out today one of last two pheasant stocking days. rainy and wet. last wed was down poor. i don't want to take muddy dogs back into house, re-dry gun, deal with a wet kids feet and well not many are being released - may try a thursday late day break if the weather is better. dogs are itchy and depressed. wearing collar bells and seeing orange and gun only to stay home for past two weeks. what a bumber.

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:02 am

we go Christmas Eve for 30 min hunt. See stud post.

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:10 am

Dec 30, 2015
Last attempt of the year?
5 shots, 1 safe and flying hen bird.
Hunted with Mike Furries and Tristan. Pushed Tristan to walk the last field with us. Wet and 41 degrees, foggy. Last field with two hours in, Levi first smells, then Lilly flushes a hen between the 3 of us, mainly at Mike's feet. He shoots once as bird slants away from him. Me direct away shot, boom. Mike fires his last shot then me two more. The bird flies into a safe zone. Pitiful.

I'm thinking I should have brought my taped up left eye glasses being left eye dominent. I don't know how we missed. Maybe my last pheasant hunt ever in NJ? No deer on trail camera for last day of Extended bow, then we're going one last time for redemption, I hope.

Return to “Hunting - Personal Yearly Journals”