NJ-rattler Fall/Winter 2015-16

For your records or to share with others, mark time, temps, moon phases, how many seen, etc.
k-villa

Re: NJ-rattler Fall/Winter 2015-16

Postby k-villa » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:43 pm

Checked trail camera and only 1 spike in at 2am. Lapse in baiting and left camera out there only surprised to see deer coming in a 3pm in daylight. SD got full up on the 21st so only 1.5 days of new footage.

12/31/15
Went pheasant hunting instead for second and last day - was hoping to deer hunt.
Kicked up two birds 5 mins in - one behind a thick hedge row the other on the otherside of thick woods - no shots. 2 hours later, the dogs on a scent, a hen flushes to my right. I took my time lined up and fired - saw feathers, pump fire a second fast miss, Mike F. shoots and hits, but still flying and on my 3rd round I drop her.
3 hits of 4 shots was better than the previous day of 5 misses on one hen = 9 shots for one hen - ouch!

End of day, expired pheasant stamp and license.

Pheasent_hen_last_in_NJ_Dec-31-2015.jpg
12-31-15 NJ Hen Pheasant
Pheasent_hen_last_in_NJ_Dec-31-2015.jpg (350.48 KiB) Viewed 1208 times
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:06 am

Wouldn't you know it but my dog kicked up a cock bird pheasant in my back yard. In over 15 of living here, never once have I seen a pheasant. Tris and I were playing football for a good 20 minutes and Lilly flushes the bird in the hedge row 15 yards behind the kid. The loud noise of the bird flushing made the kid jump. That dog can find a bird anywhere!

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:19 am

2016 30" 24hr to within 15min, snow storm put a damper on things. Late season hunt push soon - think deer ends around Feb 12th, small game a week after that (can't wait to hunt with the 20 gauge). 35-45 degree days have been melting the snow. Pic is of truck bed after a day or two with some melt, but also was hard to gauge the depth due to heavy winds which made big drifts. Light and fluffy, but an abundance - 6 inches would have been plenty.
God bless.
Attachments
2016 truck bed snow storm.jpg
2016 truck bed snow storm.jpg (162.71 KiB) Viewed 1198 times

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:53 pm

Groundhog Day 2016
60 degrees and warm enough for groundhog. Hollands corner stand 6-8" snow still on ground. Little deer tracks in snow. Mossberg 500 in hand.

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:29 pm

Four does seen on Tuesday- close but no shot. Heavy rain yesterday cuasing flooding with the snow melting.
Thursday February 4th on the ground with theH&R slug gun.

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:53 pm

Tonight Hollands and strike 3. Previous two nights four doe came underneath a cedar that had exposed grass and dirt under it and so tonight I managed to slip out at 4pm for one more sit but now by the cedar tree. Zero deer seen today. This morning the property was bird hunted by the club and most likely deer kicked out of the near by bedding? On day one I could have had a shot just prior to dark, for I got down out of my stand a little early and stalked to where I last saw them. I came around a hidden corner and there they were under the cedar, but in line with a distant house. No shot taken.

6 Days to go and need one more doe to be comfortably on the light side, two to be fully good, 3 a miracle. Busy week too, maybe 2-3 more attempts some quick. Maybe a rain day stalk for an hour weather permitting.

Deer gun - Feb 13th
Small Game - Feb 15th
Winter Bow Feb 20th

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:54 am

Thank God, I shouldn't have game wardens stopping at my house today. No sleep last night for I thought I had shot a deer without a permit and checked it in. Last night prior to my gun club meeting, I took an antlerless yearling (Etzels, 20ga H&R) just before dark. Others were coming in but it was getting to dark to shoot. Anyways, I quickly dress, drag and bring home. Call it in but see all my permit says 2015 on it and I see no permit for 2016 among the stack of permits and licenses I had for 2015. The lady on the phone already has my CID number entered from my main 2016 SG license and starts looking thru my purchases. She finds the 2015 shotgun antlerless permit and checks my deer in under that permit but I don't see 2016 on it anywhere. I don't always buy my s.g. permit for most of my deer are usually taken with bow, but I did buy this permit just before the antlerless season opened in December so I was "assuming" (bad to do) as with what I thought in the past, it was for the 2015- to Feb 2016 season. No where did it state that and I couldn't find anything online. This morning after a restless night of sleep, I find out the permit is valid until the end of Feb 2016. I have a legal deer.

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:09 am

H&R 20 gauge slug gun now is 7 for 7 on lethal ethical, one shot kills - in fact the only miss it ever had was by my nephew Shawn who had a hard time seeing crosshairs right at dark. 2 does and big buck on the Duke Estates hunt. Small meat 5pt buck opener a few years back, and this years 8pt. One doe with Tristan last year and now a b. buck on Tuesday night. It's already a 12 year or so old gun and doesn't get a lot of use, but deadly accurate. Zero shots on bear on 3 attempts.

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:15 am

UpNorth I greatly thank you for suggesting this forum. I've enjoyed adding/recording my season to it.

22 degrees yesterday, wind mostly in my favor 10avg 20mph gusts, Etzels, snow ground mix, but cold.
Out in blind at Etzels at 4:50pm - nothing i could do. crunch crunch on leaves and snow and frozen raised ground as walking in. thought wasting time. 20 mins, yes early as far as daylight left, a yearling comes in. with hammer cocked on the H&R 20 gauge I keep the crosshairs mostly on the chest while scanning the background for what else. In the scope I see a larger doe in the background and now plenty of light and she's patterning in a little but mostly a b line for the corn.

Meanwhile yearling stands so perfectly broadside sniffing wind however every now and then. I often wonder if I shouldn't take bird in hand. I got lucky. Yearlings starts moving right behind my tree blow down by the blind and out of site and now also on neighbor property.

Now the doe starts moving in mostly straight or sharp quartering to. Could have had her at any time - 45 yards. Dead rest on my BOG tripod. Sniffs every now and then. Comes to what's left of corn better angle but still not best but getting close. Leveling her mind you if she decides to act up. Just about turns broadside and I feel a wind drift and she lifts her head and prances ten yards right towards yearling, tree blind spot and neighbors. Waited and one last fatal mistake, the brief stop, BANG. Great shot but hit the rear shoulder blade for meat.

Thankful two last deer in last week of season and freezer looks med comfortable for the off season. Seems like old NJ hunting two deer in one week, not one deer in two months. Provides?

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:40 am

2016 doe last nj deer.jpg
2016 doe last nj deer.jpg (234.45 KiB) Viewed 1166 times

(Field dressed deer in front of trail camera and waiting to see what photos I get)

Two deer in the last week of gun season to get the freezer stock to a comfortable level. Provided? I would say so and to have needed two gambrels at once this season was just, well, it was just shy of miraculous.

Final report of the season.
Missouri - doe, front shoulders took home, gave rest of meat to others
NJ reg bow season - big doe
NJ extended bow season - small small yearling but the only shot the entire season other than two big 8 points that came in beautifully broadside (had on camera and knew the deer) but both were busted up and only half racks so I passed on them.
Goats, goats and more goats - neighbors goats freely roamed and ate on my corn in new spot
Six day firearm - took a big 8, probably my biggest NJ buck, thought mortally sick and meat was no good. Seen very few, I think 4, the rest of the year, 3 of which were in one group.
Permit shotgun 2016 - handful of times out, cameras and corn continuously put out but very little seen even at night on camera. Early Feb started seeing a herd of deer and attempted 3 nights in a row, close to getting a shot twice. Last week of the season, thankfully harvested a yearling right at dark and then a big doe 3 days later to get enough meat to last the off season.

Corn - probably $150 spent compared to $50 at most previous years. Acorns unproductive this year. 0 backyard deer - 1st ever. 0 stalks on ground and normally one or two with the bow and ground stalking. 0 crossbow deer. Bow - normally pass up several doe in hopes of a buck, not this year. Overall my toughests ever hunting year for NJ where the quantity of deer is very similar to people, well populated, but very thankful on what I did harvest including a big 8.

Return to “Hunting - Personal Yearly Journals”