'Up North's' Sporting Journal 2016

For your records or to share with others, mark time, temps, moon phases, how many seen, etc.
Up North

'Up North's' Sporting Journal 2016

Postby Up North » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:20 am

Well, it should have been "Sporting Journal 2015-16" since the bow season in my area goes until the end of January. As it turns out however, the bucks on all the cameras of mine and my buddies are losing antlers already. Who knows what caused that, but that seals the deal for me. Season over. It's not without some great experiences in the bag.
I used to...claim to get seasonal affective disorder. That's before small game hunting, cross country skiing and ice fishing, etc. I always need something to look forward to. And though my wife could wait a while, I CANNOT wait until next deer season. Reason being I discovered some new hunting spots that could/should be dynamite. I have a hard time keeping secrets and this one is really hard. I want to talk about it these spots in the worst way because I'm so darn excited about the opportunity to hunt some of the best burbs in the area. Problem is that they are little known, very little known properties that just about anyone can hunt. You just have to know where they are. Ok, I've said too much.
I was telling a buddy the other day about my personal philosophy regarding hunting spots That is, all hunting properties go bad at some point. Public spots for sure. A hidden, secret public spot is never secret for long. Even privately owned spots that I gain permission to hunt. They go bad too. Owners let others hunt. Owners sell or move. Owners sadly...pass away. There are lots of reasons. It's only when you own your own hunting land that the odds switch in your favor. That's why hunting for hunting spots is a year round activity for me. I continuously talk to people and stick my big feet in any door that even appears that I may be able to open it. And when I have a perfect spot, I keep looking for more. I don't think I'm being greedy. It's just that they all go bad at some point and you just never know when it might be.
Concept Archery - The Believer
Concept Archery - Mini-29
Concept Archery - C-32

One of a kind, Hand made, Waterworth Hickory Longbow

k-villa

Re: 'Up North's' Sporting Journal 2016

Postby k-villa » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:59 pm

I've had a tough time this year as you know. Neighbors hunting new adjacent land that was a sanctuary. New club members who bowhunt and some pretty close to my spots. I've lost some great private properties in the past - two within a few years, the only two I basically had.
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Up North

Postby Up North » Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:43 am

See, that's exactly what what I mean. There are a million ways a hunting spot can go bad. It may add up to a bad season here or there. But they all bad at some point. Or maybe they intermittently go bad and good. I had a spot that got disturbed all the time. Once I was in the stand and a truck came down the wide tractor trail on this particular far property. As I watched two men get out of the truck to do,...whatever noisy thing they were doing, a deer popped out and I got the shot. I guess that is not the idea behind my philosophy. It is more of an overall theme. You just gotta keep looking for hunting land.
Concept Archery - C-32

Up North

Cold Winter Scout

Postby Up North » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:51 am

Single digits yesterday and after a long couple weeks putting every spare minute into finishing my basement, it was time to get outside. A good friend who always lets me in on a good hunting spot (very good friend) asked if I wanted to hike/scout/shed hunt one of the newer-found properties with his dog. I was all in. Bright sun, cold temps, a mouthful of sunflower seeds, a hunting buddy, and a hike in God's creation make for an excellent afternoon.
Concept Archery - C-32

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:09 pm

I've been itching to get out and do some shed looking myself but may wait a little while longer. No time. I haven't had too much luck in the past but do occasionally find some sheds.
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Return to “Hunting - Personal Yearly Journals”