☠ k-villa 2016-17 hunting journal

For your records or to share with others, mark time, temps, moon phases, how many seen, etc.
k-villa

Re: k-villa 2016-17 hunting journal

Postby k-villa » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:38 pm

Dec 3,2016
Saturday quick hunt w dogs and pulling of stand from Hollands.
Sunday took a doe at the pond behind club. Little back on shot placement and mostly liver. Amazing tracking job, big thanks.
Monday opening 6 day shotgun - sadly kid in school and tio much work for me.
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:38 pm

last day of 6 day shotgun and not making it out. 34 degrees and still have a deer to butcher since last Sunday. 1st time in many years didn't make gun season, maybe a total of 4 over 20 years I've hunted gun season in some way, some day, for I have 2 extra buck tags.

Trisman and I normally take off Monday but we didn't know f&w classes ended in Oct and he turns 10 in Nov. Would have been a quick sign up and study and watch 12 hrs of videos for hunter ed class. he wants to go and says next year. was sorry he couldn't carry a gun and pheasant hunt this year and wished he pushed himself.

34 degrees as a high today, the stream is freezing and going to be ready for skating come mid-week. Will be in the dark or maybe first light we might try. Hopefully stays cold for a little while, maybe through Christmas. 4 deer in the freezer and maybe only need one more to make through 2017. Have to Feb to hunt and deer have even been in backyard this year.

Enjoy the holidays, time off and family. God bless.

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:18 am

Thankful that I don't need any more deer right now for the freezer. Maybe one more late Jan or Feb, but fulfill level pretty good right now. Thankful for a perfect temperature of cold to keep my deer til yesterday and today. Rolardin meat, london broils, medalions, corned venison, jerky and some other cuts are to be enjoyed. No time for butchering and thankful not in immediate need.

Congrats to Mikey Ferisee, shot his biggest, the one he was going after in NJ. Calls me up, can't find a flash light, come now. Just started processing last two hind quarters, and no where in his house does he have a flash light, ah, but then he finds it and finds his deer. Mikey Ferisee, Congrats my boy, Congrats!

Running for President tomorrow, as if I have lots of free time....
Thursday hosting a going away party, Friday a full full day of work...
thankful the freezer is full and had a very short and very successful season for 2016. Barely was out and four does harvested. 0 pheasants killed and but that's going to change over a few days of holiday break.

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:16 pm

December 23, 2016

Some unexpected company, running like a mad man yesterday on the end of a busy week, peeked in gun case and saw gold trigger and thought good. Dogs and I barely slip out to drive 30 mins and hunt for the last hour before dark. Fully open gun case in parking lot to only realize you have the 20 gauge in the case but 12 gauge shells in the vest. Let the dogs run for 25 mins for promised them out - zero birds killed obviously.

Clinton _ old Farm lot - the area most heavily hit, was by myself. Some signs of birds being there as in even killed that day. Feathers and such: most were shot that morning or the day before. Biggest stockings are the last few of the year so looking forward to the 29th and 31st. Lots of complaints this year from many on how little birds out. Still zero on the $40 pheasant stamp.

Walking and being out in nature is good for the head and the dogs enjoyed the exercise. Would have stayed longer if I had a gun, but it's the holiday season and felt like i should head back home. Merry Christmas all, enjoy.

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:56 am

Well just remembered pheasant season wasn't a total bust; picked some staghorn sumac berries and forgot it was in my bird vest.
Really good hot tea w honey.
Foresee a pheasant sumac dish soon.
Attachments
IMG_5963.JPG

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:38 am

Thursday, no go on anything, rainy day, 2nd to last stock day.
Friday, push afternoon for nearly 2hrs.
Super Lilly chases two snipe across somewhat frozen, iced bog part of the lake. Slips and slides as the birds fly off, us thinking, wishing we could shoot. Plammm, she fall through the thawing ice and tumbles. Covered in mud rest of day. Ah, nothing else barely seen as in feathers or shell casings. Possibly 300 birds released that morning?

12-31-2016 last hunt of the year
Saturday, Mikie and I both push time off. I pick him up at 12:30pm. Neither of us too hopeful, but...

Walk one big field, parking lot field and then push into others. See some sign of bird feathers and that they stocked. Walk the bottom of the big field and Lilly goes birdie in the hedge row. Wow it's not my dogs, started questioning. Levi confirms too.

Finally on full stride at end of hedge row and she runs 90 degrees up hill. Over-misses the bird's turn then turns around and runs down yet another lane. We run and run, but bird is way down the lane. A nice cock kicks up and flies. Super Lilly is gone for a little bit and deserves it - no calling off killer; she'll hunt 'til death, I often wonder.

Go down to where the bird "landed"? Big L or Lilly kicks up a pheasant, seemed hen to both of us though. Directly into low hanging sun, but really, bird should have been dead. No one really ready hard to see in sun at first.

Walk to top of hill, we know a birds dead today. Now we're pumped. Super Lilly disappears in woods for a while. Wait 5 mins and call for know she's on a bird. Lay down and relax a little after slow walking two hours. As I'm laying I'm looking way down hill and there goes a flying pheasant, then there goes Lilly.

When she realizes her job is done and she can't do no more, she responds to her name and does a long mad dash of 300+ yards up the hill right to me. I was barely able to hold onto Super Lilly long enough for Mikie to take a photo, she was ready for more hunting.

Ten mins later dogs birdy and we know it. Cock bird flushes. Mike fires and misses close and easy shot, then we both fire at the same time and knock the bird down. We go to pick it up and it's gone. Ten mins later guess who kills it and brings it out of the thicket - Super Lilly. The cock bird was nearly as big as her. One and only bird killed all season, Mikie gets his $40 pheasant. Me, some more tea, memories the dogs a good time. Pheasant meat would have been nice, maybe some club pheasant hunting or other small game.

Cocker spaniels are awesome family and bird dogs, and they're noses are amazing. Shoot, I thought I was going to go out with the recurve and flu flus once I had a few birds in the freezer. Hardest season ever on pheasant "more evenly stocked" has many questioning. Lord willing many more pheasant days in store for all of us.
Attachments
2016-12-31cocker pheasant hunting after long run.jpg

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:07 am

Quick Saturday afternoon hunt with the 500 and dogs. No squirrels, chuckers or pheasants.
Good hour outing at whiskey lane.
Attachments
IMG_6057.JPG

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:00 pm

Saturday, 2-4-17
Whiskey Land, Big L kicks up 6 out of ten chuckers, Super L another 3.
Miss the birds in the first field, well covered, but never hunted chuckers.
Returned to the field at the end of the hunt, 2 we're killed within 3 mins.

Sat 2/11/17
Squirrel dead center down body - zero meat damage
Huge, older doe that needed to go - Spitfire blow through
Smaller doe on shot, two - second Spitfire
Big doe made it 25 yards, huge holes, both tracking was simple and quick on white snow
All quick kill precision shots thankfully.
Attachments
IMG_6260.JPG
IMG_6264.JPG
IMG_6267.JPG

k-villa

Re: ☠ k-villa 2016-17 hunting journal

Postby k-villa » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:01 am

2-20-17

Sadly I gave up my best head lamp, a Led Lenser, and so it was a double loss.

Saturday was the last day of Winter bow season/deer season - I butchered the one I had and didn't go out.

Few more days for both squirrel and rabbit. Trout season around the corner.

Return to “Hunting - Personal Yearly Journals”