2016 k-villa garden journal

All about growing vegetable and flower gardens; bulbs, soil acidity, tomatoes, and even fruit trees.
k-villa

Re: 2016 k-villa garden journal

Postby k-villa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:04 am

August 1-4th photos, slower growing, but most from seed and most heirloom. Soil not quite perfect nor seedling process yet, but many plants continuing from org 2011 and 2012 and 2014 seeds. Three different beans planted and LV were the best. Lake Valley Sugar Snap Peas were the best I've ever had, second picking saving some for seed. (H) Heirloom too. Peppers looking good including my org which I thought I lost and favorite OH H Cayenne, Thai perfume peppers, jalepino doing ok, cal wunder and bells (most store bought 2016 sadly, doing well) Tomatoes doing really well and most my H seeds of various years 2011-2014, about 2-3 dozen various cherries picked - didn't care for new Tumbling Toms potting tomato. Org cherry tomato best and have 3 plants about to produce, 2 heavily. Artichokes, we love, have unfortunately only 2 of 3 going and not sure how they grow in NJ and believe I have left over carrots growing too or maybe more wild chamomile. Never heard of anyone growning them here. Cruciferious veggies looking good - brocolli, sprouts, kale, collards. Thankfully beat the battle with the cabbage worms for the most part. Good amount of weekend tea harvesting/drying/packing gill, clover, mints, lemon thyme. Curly leaf, romaine, dandelion, mustard greens from 2011 well, and LV 2016 H arugula is excellent, seeds packaged already for arugula and mustard greens. Herb garden the best ever, soon some seeds. 3 types of green beans, LV H 2016 top crop just ok, Kentucky Wonder waiting on some really long big beans but ready to start picking, other seems best (4-6 very thin green beans - need to look up packaging, think Burpee). Frosty LV Pea 2016 just ok and Burpee 2015 seeds peas slightly better - need new strategy for peas, climbers? One of four cucumbers plants - picked first picking of one about 10 cucumbers from that one and 2nd plant ready - both are National Pickling LV (H) 2016. Marketmore Cucumber LV (H) 2016 are looking good with smaller cucumbers starting to form and lots of flowers. Watermellon and pumpkin doing well, lots of great breakfast/lunch snacks pumpkin flower fritters.

artichoke_NJ_8-1-16.JPG
artichoke

brussel_sprouts_NJ_8-1-2016.JPG
Virg Brussel Sprouts 2016

beef_stake_tomato_8-1-16_2013org_2015seed.JPG
2013 org beef steak H

california_wunder_H_org13_seed14_and_2016-pimento_peppers.JPG
Org 2013 H California Wonder Peppers

cherry_tomato_org_seed_2014era.JPG
Best Cherry Tomato 2014 H seed

cayenne_pepper_2016_org2011_2012seed.JPG
Best Cayenne Pepper org OH H 2011

cayenne_pepper_2nd_2016_from_2012_seed.JPG
Best Cayenne Pepper org OH H 2011 2nd plant, 3 big and inside
Last edited by k-villa on Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:13 am

8-1-16 pics con't
Attachments
2016 LV H national pickling cucumbers.JPG
National Pickling cucumbers Lake Valley H 2016 seed
waltham_brocolli_heirloom_org_seed_2011.JPG
waltham brocollo OH org 2011 seed H
unknown_pepper_HOIN_H_2015seed.JPG
Hoin Thai Perfume? Pepper H 2016
sugar_baby_watermellon_2016.JPG
Sugar Baby Watermellon
old_german_MA-2016_org2014_seed2015_same_NY_Mysty_Acres_tomato_heirlooms.JPG
Misty Acres H 2014 old german and NY
misty_acres_NY_tomato_2016_O-2014.JPG
Misty Acres NY tomato #2
pickling_cucumber_kale_scallion_lettuces.JPG
national pickling cucumbers LV H 2016, kale, scallions, 3 lettuces

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:58 am

Soil is always key with gardens. Been making better and better every year, organic, straw, manure, compost, lime, sand and some tilling, yet still mostly clay, yet nutritious. Worms are there. Also primarily growing Heirlooms which always made sense to me. Part of having a garden is to save money, save seeds, kinda like traditional bow hunting, primative. Heirlooms you don't always seem to get those huge show off produce, but I maybe better tasting produce and no offense, for all garden tomatoes are better than store bought any day.

Today picked my only org 2011 planted/carried moon watermellon (H). sad news is i still haven't have a really good one yet, but this is looking my best. 3-4 good melons last year and were good, maybe a 8 out of ten, but my soil has never been the best for melon. My only one pumpkin this year is going to be an eater in pie and more seeds. I do have a huge plant on the back side of the garden erupting!!! and seems to be a late sprouting watermelon or maybe pumpkin for I did some 2nd replanting this year. Surprise to see so big now yet no fruit. Still have pumpkin flowers and strawberries and cucumbers and watermelon. A few 2nd and 3rd blooming strawberries and two strawberries right up front in August and thinking I should start plucking flowers quickly? Weather and growing season has been weird, mild warm winter previously. Seems like a good year for peppers at least on the east coast, tomatoes no big ones that I've seen yet.

4 Cucumber plants: 13 pickled jars of LV (H) national pickling and 8 pickled jars of LV (H) Marketmores. Think I've made the best pickles this year, don't like pickles, but can say I don't have much left over from the previous years. Lots of cucumbers eaten raw and few still being picked - 3 today in fact, pickling variety. New for2016 planting are , Lake Valley seeds (LV) and 3 out of 4 heirloom sold at the Christmas Trees stores of all things. One of two of their green beans were good, cucumbers both H were excellent but note that I've always been able to grow great cucumbers.

No sign of brussel sprouts or artichokes (fingers were crossed, never heard of no one growing AC here, but we love eating them, all of us!) Brocolli, some going to flower, need to pick well before this stage, how do you get broccoli heads? Remember there was a trick.

Today's Harvest pic Aug 17, 2016: a 2011 org (h-Ohio origin) Moon and Stars Watermellon, Bell and Cal Wunder peppers, tomatoes and even two awesome Martha Wasthington Hybred (yucky word?) tomato, that I'm saving seeds to for do like Martha and George and bet it was a good org strain), small H beefsteak (have bigger coming), a few BEST org 2011 cayenne peps, and three more 2016 heirloom national pickling cucumbers that arrived after Sunday's late night canning pickles event.
Attachments
2016-08-16 walt watermellon heirloom tomatoes peppers cucumbers.JPG
Mostly Heirloom Produce from years of seeds
Last edited by k-villa on Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:31 am

Started the Tomato Seed drying for 2017 planting. For tomatoes I've found it best to place seeds in a strainer and run under water. Remove large pulp material and rub most of the outer gunk off gently. Put in sunny window on a ceramic plate and let dry for several weeks. Use razor blade to scrape off.

Package in a paper envelope of some sort (use a large one and cut down, fold edges twice and tape closed). Paper allows seeds to breath or dry more if really need be, plastic can cause mold which can kill the seeds. So far this method for over 6 years has worked for me and I have not had a seed of some sort that I have not been able to grow. Over the years some certainly didn't have a great sprouting ratio, whether it be pepper, tomato or other, but all have produced at least a few plants.

Other seeds drying/packed so far: National Pickling and Marketmore Cucumber (both excellent this year - over 20 jars of pickled cucumbers off of 4 plants and more still growing), moon stars watermelon, beans and peas, lettuces, and basil.
Attachments
heirloom tomato and pepper seeds drying ceramic plate.JPG

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:16 pm

8-26-16 picks
still lots of cucumbers and beans galore. MA-NY tomato's ah just ok, But the cherry, romas, beefs and new Martha Washingtons are a 10+. Three Sweet Baby water melons, personal size and very sweet - third year seeds. Two big pumpkin plants from July planted seeds no fruit showing yet. One pineapple size pumpkin so far off of spring planted seed. Lettuces, kale, collards all looking good and we've been making some gourmet side dishes. No brussel sprouts nor brocolli but plants look healthy. Organic worm spray has been working for keeping my leafy greens hole free with spraying plants only once a month. Artichoke, one looking good, one dying off? however no sign of an artichoke yet. Seed gathering almost at full throttle.
Attachments
heirloom jack-o-lantern pumpkin large plant leaves 8-2016.JPG
Jack-O-Lantern Pumpkin Plant
heirloom roma tomatos and borage plant 2016.JPG
Best Heirloom Roma Tomatoes and Borage Plant
cayenne pepper red fall 2016.JPG
Best Heirloom Cayenne Peppers - 2011 strain
borage plant blue flower 2016 outdoor playground.JPG
Blue Borage Plant Flower - friend of the tomato and soon to be tea
best heirloom cherry tomotos.JPG
Best Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes - 2011 strain
heirloom sweet baby watermelon.JPG
Heirloom Sweet Baby Watermelon
pimento peppers.JPG
Pimento Peppers - second picking

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:21 am

Seeds all packaged for next planting. Picked the last of the peppers and even a few tomatoes. Tilled garden this weekend and planted rye for the 1st time. Will see in a few weeks what it looks like and how it does for the garden next year.
Attachments
IMG_5623.JPG
IMG_5676.JPG
IMG_5732.JPG

Return to “Vegetable and Flower Gardening”