Hardwater fishing

From stream and ocean, to trout to tuna, what happened to your buddy...
Yooper

Hardwater fishing

Postby Yooper » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:55 am

Still waiting for safe ice to drill a few holes and catch some Crappies and Rainbows. Anyone else Ice fishing yet? Last year I was on 12 inches of ice at this time. WI just had a tragic accident on the ice. No fish is that important. Safety first!!!! Tight lines all!

k-villa

Re: Hardwater fishing

Postby k-villa » Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:07 am

I'm about to cut the grass for the 2nd time in December. Honestly there's a few flowers budding outside, though I think that's all coming to an end quickly.

Last year was the 1st year we went out in a long time. It was a family tradition for me and my one sister to go out with my step dad every winter. It was great and a lot of fond memories. Since he passed, I think I've gone twice, once when Tristan was 5 and last year at the age of 8.

The year he was 5 we had one day left of safe ice. It was 60 degrees the day we went and wet melting snow with water on top. His boots were soaked. I warmed his feet over the little coal stove that we used for cooking hot dogs. Then had to carry him back and end our trip a little early due to wet and cold feet. No flags.

Last year, tried a local lake loaded with big pike. Tons of people on the lake and no flags by anyone but me, one 5 feet from the shore - my thinking is the big fish pushes all the bait fish to bank and have them trapped. I had him hooked for 20 seconds or so then lost him.

Maybe this year. Tris has gotten good at ice skating which seems much more simple to do. Grab his skates, go to the local stream down the road and play some hockey with club members or just us often too.
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Yooper

Postby Yooper » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:36 pm

Finally got on the ice. Only ended up with three of these little guys, which were put back to be caught another day. I was using a Lindy Ice worm tipped with three wax worms. Approx 12 feet down. It's so much fun watching my Vexilar! I watch the fish come off the bottom to check out the bait. Good stuff.
20160103_160354.jpg
First Crappie of 2016
20160103_160354.jpg (2.07 MiB) Viewed 790 times

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:52 pm

Good stuff. Tris and I were just talking about ice fishing and ice skating - him more skating. Was 8 degrees last night so we might be finally getting some ice. The only good thing IMO about winter.

So you're electronic fishing? Watching em come in off the bottom. Often wish I had something like that for deer hunting - should I go in at 10am or are deer coming in. Think that'd be a little unfair for deer hunting.

Yooper

Postby Yooper » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:35 pm

Isn't that what a game cam does??? Using a camera may allow a person to pattern the animals, correct? ;-)

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:41 pm

just not live scanning amigo. i'd use it, trust me. if i'm ever for some strange reason passing through your neck of the country, i hope to do some MI ice fishing.

Yooper

Postby Yooper » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:34 am

Anytime. Stop by. Make a special trip if you want to. Bring the family. Don't forget the Yuengling!

Up North

Postby Up North » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:54 am

I'm joining in that outing. K-Villa needs to get to Northern Minnesota Boundary Waters in the summertime. Live out of your canoe fr a week or so. Eat fresh walleyes til you get sick of em.
But we're talking about ice fishing here and I can't wait either. I've finally gone electronic so I'm not fishing blind. We'll call it IFR for those pilots out there. Instrument Fishing Rules.
Concept Archery - The Believer
Concept Archery - Mini-29
Concept Archery - C-32

One of a kind, Hand made, Waterworth Hickory Longbow

Yooper

Postby Yooper » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:39 am

Please Join!!!!!! Don't forget the Schlitz Tall Boys Eh! I have 3 different ice shacks. 2, two person and one single person. I also wear an ice shack. Pull the hood up and I'm good.
We really should get to the boundary waters again. That would be awesome. It would be even more awesome if we get the same camp site as last time. I'm ready to get sick of eating walleyes. :D

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:09 am

maybe one day once the lad is a little older, little more time and a little more spending cash. it would be literally a "cool" trip - image you guys swim.

Return to “Fishing - General”