Meat Birds and Eggs

From tractors, to tiling, barn roof repair, if it's about the farm - it goes in here
Yooper

Meat Birds and Eggs

Postby Yooper » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:05 am

So I am planning to start with some Chickens in the spring. Starting with 100 birds total. My plan is to have 25 layers, 25 Rhode Island Reds for meat, and 50 Cornish Rock X for meat. I know the Rhode Island Reds take a little longer to raise but that's all part of my plan. I will be selling eggs and meat locally. What would you all suggest as a good price for cage free, antibiotic free, hormone free, Eggs and Meat. I will purchase the feed from the closest feed mill which happens to be approx. 1 hour away. I am looking forward to this new adventure. I've raised both egg layers and meat birds in the past but have never raised this many. If I need too, I will raise a second batch of Cornish Rock X.
BTW, I already have people putting their orders in. This is good news but the proof is in the pudding. Take care. Keep on clucking.

k-villa

Re: Meat Birds and Eggs

Postby k-villa » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:52 am

I have a beautiful big chicken coop in my back yard. It's a big cinder block and cement building that was designed specifically for raising chickens. I think it dates back to the 1950's. In my area there were a lot of chicken farmers. Many houses on my road have long chicken coop buildings, many different than mine, for raising 100's to thousands of chickens. If we weren't planning on moving, I'd be utilizing it again for what it was designed for.

I would be curious to see what you come up with for I too would love to raise a lot of chickens, mostly just for family though.
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Return to “General - All about the Farm”