Wild Chamomile, Identifcation, Harvest, Drying, Picking Flowerheads, Drying Tea

Identify, talk about, recipes of wild edible plants
k-villa

Wild Chamomile, Identifcation, Harvest, Drying, Picking Flowerheads, Drying Tea

Postby k-villa » Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:57 pm

I let wild chamomile grow in garden this year, and off of one plant I picked 3 large bundles. Online/Youtube videos (many not so good) shows of picking flower heads while on plant, plucking head after head all while bent over. I found an online image of chamomile hanging and drying on the streets of Portugal and it is what I had in mind after much reading and how I had planned for making of many teas this year.

First method, picking from live plant
I picked a large mason jar of live flower heads in about 20 mins in the hot summer sun. Picked while bent over in the garden. Then I cut a 1/3 of the plant and hang it off the fence at standing height level with bowl below. Better on back but ...

that was the slow method. Second method
Hung what was left of that one batch and then cut the rest of the plant and got two more big bundles to hang and I let dry for 3-4 weeks. I've read to dry in shade not direct sunlight as seen in the Portugal photos - quaint town with restaurants so somewhat display/draw in the public? Drying in ventilated shade allows you not to loose as much flavorful oils as to drying in the sun. Drying and then plucking is the best and quickest way I've found so far. Once again, when dry and ready for plucking of flower heads, hang it at standing level and pull/pluck heads down using gravity as a friend, with a bowl 12" below and even in the shade if a hot July day :oops: .

Wild Chamomile has a anise-like flavor and often considered a relaxing tea or good tea before bed.
Pineapple Weed vs. Wild Chamomile:
Both very similar, however pineapple weed has no white flower pedals, and the yellow heads when cut in half smell like pineapple. Also note that wild chamomile starts loosing white flower pedals late in season.
Both excellent teas fresh or dried.

1tsp of dried chamomile steeped in hot water for 10-15 mins
2tsp of fresh chamomile steeped in hot water for 10-15 mins
Attachments
small bowl of chamomile.JPG
chamomile flower heads harvesting tea.JPG
chamomile dried how to pick flower heads for tea.JPG
chamomile-hanging-to-dry.JPG
big head of wild chamomile.JPG
wild chamomile outdoor playground.JPG
2016_wild_chamomile_tea_flower_harvest.jpg
Last edited by k-villa on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

k-villa

Re: Wild Chamomile, Identifcation, Harvest, Drying, How to Pick Flowerheads for Tea

Postby k-villa » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:13 pm

Let dry in a bowl on a sunny window sill. Then placed in a mason jar with holes in a used lid. Air tight it, non-hole lid good for those in parts of the country with dried climates. Keep out of direct sunlight in dry, cool place.

Shown with fully dried Gill Over the Ground leaves (big jar still needs to be grounded, as in grind).
Tea bags are in, other stuff still drying.
Attachments
NJ Aug 2016 dried Gill Over Ground and Wild Chamomile tea.JPG
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Return to “Edible”