Deep Dish Dutch Oven Pizza Pie- A Simple Classic

Getting back to traditional, good ol' cooking.
Up North

Deep Dish Dutch Oven Pizza Pie- A Simple Classic

Postby Up North » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:45 pm

A hunting camp and family kitchen favorite alike. I could also put this into the Concept Archery Hunt topic as this pizza has made it to all 5 annual hunts and is requested time after time.
My recipes are designed for a 6 qt shallow camp style dutch oven. Can be done in others though. In fact, just use a baking dish/"Corningware" to make it indoors at home.

3 pkg crescent rolls
1 jar/can Pizza Sauce
1lb ground beef or venison
1/2 lb Italian sausage
8 oz Shredded Cheddar Cheese
8 oz Shredded Mozzarella Cheese

Brown ground beef/venison and sausage together, drain. Mix in pizza sauce. Grease/Pam spray the bottom and sides of dutch oven. Line oven bottom with 1 pkg of crescent rolls. Work the dough evenly on bottom and work it up the sides with about 1/2 a second roll. Add meat mixture. Add cheeses. Use second and third pkg of rolls to form top crust. Bake 30 min at 350 degrees...approx 15 coals on top and 8 on bottom. I throw some pepperonis and sometimes sprinkle some mozz cheese on the top for "presentation". Cut into nice pie pieces and enjoy
Attachments
3D Pizza.jpg
3D Pizza.jpg (34.88 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
3D Pizza 2.jpg
3D Pizza 2.jpg (51.63 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
Concept Archery - The Believer
Concept Archery - Mini-29
Concept Archery - C-32

One of a kind, Hand made, Waterworth Hickory Longbow

ca-archer
Site Admin

Re: Deep Dish Dutch Oven Pizza Pie- A Simple Classic

Postby ca-archer » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:55 pm

Thanks for sharing. This is my by far a very good, extremely well like recipe and as mentioned on all CA annual hunts.(I was glad to have a little left over for breakfast and was saddened when I heard you were making it before we arrived) IT IS a camp favorite. I'm making it real soon. I've added the ingredients to the refrigerator's shopping list. What size pizza sauce jar?

Can you post your cheese cake recipe to, I would like to make that for an upcoming dinner in a few weeks. Thanks.

ca-archer
Site Admin

Re: Deep Dish Dutch Oven Pizza Pie- A Simple Classic

Postby ca-archer » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:47 pm

Well, here's how it turned out. We had a very special person as a guest sleeping over today and so I thought it'd be nice to make this one of a kind dish especially for our guest. Taryn did well helping:

Problems - cooked for 45 mins and still dough still wasn't done. Cooked 5 mins uncovered and with broiler on. Dough i'm told is to cover the entire sides, meaning you need to stretch dough really thin. Wife and I already started on future modifications - 1/2 the cheese or maybe less cheddar (we used sharp cheddar) and less meat. We're thinking less meat and cheese with this pie, maybe some peppers and onions? Also maybe a garlic broccoli, mozzarella pie, or a bacon pineapple pie. Even with doughy bread, Tyran cleaned up Tristan's and needed two forks (see last photo). We all had seconds and partial thirds. 1/2 a pie still left over. Total cost of pie was exactly $19.88. No sharp cheddar and no sausage of half of the meat would reduce cost. Very filling, very tasty, very heart busting.

1 taryn cooking meats.jpg
Tyran cooking the sausage and chop meat
1 taryn cooking meats.jpg (184.15 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

2 tyran figures out how to open.jpg
Tyran figures out how to open the crescent roll packaging.
2 tyran figures out how to open.jpg (196.07 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

3 tyran 1st dough layer.jpg
Tyran putting 1st half of dough in dutch oven
3 tyran 1st dough layer.jpg (209.11 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

5 fillings.jpg
Filling is added
5 fillings.jpg (240.66 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

6 tyran putting top on.jpg
Tyran stretching the top dough over the pizza
6 tyran putting top on.jpg (190.8 KiB) Viewed 1178 times

7 finished dish.jpg
Finished dutch oven pizza