Rabbit Pot Pie

Squirrel Pot Pie, Rabbit, Pheasant, etc. All those small critters we love to chase and put on the dinner plate.
k-villa

Rabbit Pot Pie

Postby k-villa » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:21 pm

Thanks to Russman and his what I hear famous squirrel pot pies, I decided to make one using rabbit. It was quick and easy to make and really came out well. We will be making more.

I placed one rabbit in a crock pot for about 5 hours or just until tender enough for the meat to easily pull off.

INGREDIENTS:
Crust
1 box Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box

Filling
1/2 of a yellow onion finely chopped
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 cups chicken broth
1 shredded, cooked rabbit (crock pot)
1 small bag of mixed frozen veggies (carrots, pea pods, broccoli, cauliflower - cut up larger pieces)
1/2 small bag of peas

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oven to 425°F. Make pie crusts as directed on box for Two-Crust Pie using 9-inch glass pie pan.

In 2-quart saucepan cook onion in oil; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until well blended. Gradually stir in broth, cooking and stirring until bubbly and thickened.

Stir in rabbit and mixed vegetables. Remove from heat. Spoon rabbit mixture into crust-lined pan. Top with second crust; seal edge and flute. Cut slits in several places in top crust.

Bake 30 to 40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. During last 15 to 20 minutes of baking, cover crust edge with strips of foil to prevent excessive browning. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Attachments
rabbit pot pie mix.JPG
rabbit pot pie mix.JPG (2.07 MiB) Viewed 517 times
rabbit pot pie.JPG
rabbit pot pie.JPG (2.43 MiB) Viewed 517 times
rabbit pot pie sliced.JPG
rabbit pot pie sliced.JPG (2.26 MiB) Viewed 517 times
slice of rabbit pot pie.JPG
slice of rabbit pot pie.JPG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 517 times
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Russman

Re: Rabbit Pot Pie

Postby Russman » Sun May 01, 2016 11:24 pm

You forgot BAM! super easy recipe, hardest part is beboning, I have even used rotisserie chicken from the super market. Can't go wrong with a warm feel good meal

k-villa

Re: Rabbit Pot Pie

Postby k-villa » Mon May 02, 2016 2:26 am

Trust me rabbit a lot easier than squirrels - one rabbit, more meat or equal to 3 squirrels, and larger bones. Was easy.
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Return to “Small Game Recipes”