Dog food

Elk, Moose, Deer - All sorts of venison
Russman

Dog food

Postby Russman » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:34 pm

Just as title says, however my dogs eat better than most people. All my scrap meat that is too much work to clean or has blood damage get run through the grinder, I make batches of 6 weeks at a time then freeze it in one week bags to keep fresh. Start off with ground scrap in some water I cut up a pepper, some carrots, a bunch of celery, a bag of fresh cranberries. Simmer on stove top till veggies are tender and let them enjoy.
Attachments
20160731_131606.jpg
20160801_172906.jpg
20160801_173029.jpg

k-villa

Re: Dog food

Postby k-villa » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:00 pm

I like it. Cranberries as with all berries good on cancer and esp good for urinary issues - bet they'll have very little if any in their life time. Maybe add garlic to the recipe? Apple can be really good for them too, not sure how it'd work in your stew?

I give my dogs the venison scrap meat also, though raw. I fill freezer bags and defrost about 6-8 though out the year. Have done a lot of reading on it and believe uncooked is is best for them, but still bet your food is better than anything in store as venison is just clean and pure. The all raw diet is however really hard and time consuming and can be expensive to do. Our diet for our dogs though is not wasteful and overall I believe saves money . When it comes to our family pets we want the best for them, and so we often buy expensive food in better hope?

When butchering they get to pick meat off the bones and or eat some bone like the ribs. I save the front shoulder and freeze them as bi-weekly dinner treats. I let them eat the shoulder blade up to the thick part for don't want to chance big splinters. My local butcher saves me some should bone and being I have smaller dogs I like smaller deer, doe or yearly blades better than big bucks. Bone is nutritious for them but also excellent for cleaning teeth. Raw diet feed dogs have exceptional teeth from what I've seen and read - outstanding fur too.

I hate loosing pets to tumorous cancer and my two dogs and one of the few cats I've ever really cared for, lived long good lives and on commercial, cheap food, but all three died of cancerous fatty tumors. I'm trying to avoid those tumorous cancerous lumps and still think overall healthy table scraps are good for them as is your stew loaded with extra God made vitamins, minerals, carotenoids and other scientific wonders in fruits and veggies. I've never seen a fox, coyote or other predator with them fatty lumps and I've skinned my fair share of them. Being wild they do still face usually a short life expectancy, but a natural diet IMO is what I would ideally like to feed my dogs.

Our dogs do eat a lot of healthy table scraps and or right now discarded veggies from the garden. Dogs stomachs can digest about anything. They do need their meat though and can't be on a strict vegetarian diet or so what I believe - internet is filled with lots believe what you wish. Just finished camping for three days and dogs swam as I fished and they ate well, BBQ chicken, some rib meat, a hot dog each, eggs, and of course venison. They also had green beans, watermelon and corn stalks. Lots of exercise keeps them healthy too and they got their share yesterday.

Here's my plate cleaning female finishing a few pieces of horseradish venison and asparagus from a few weeks ago:
Attachments
IMG_5031.JPG
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Russman

Postby Russman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:21 pm

Apples go in mix when we have them normally just wedge cut them, garlic is a hit or miss I have heard both good and bad if I put in I mince it because I have been told large chunks not so good for dogs, either way they tear it up

Russman

Postby Russman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:35 pm

Shoulders are the best pelvis and skull caps are great too
Attachments
20150403_141425.jpg
20150403_141240.jpg

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:31 pm

Dog food additive even eating now raw. Female a little more picky, likes skinned or at least seasoned and semi-cooked

Funny thing is I dont even like pickles yet everyone else does. This years I think are best yet. I'm also soon out of jars but holy sugar do I have garlic n dill.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Cucumber pickle waste for dog food
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Return to “Big Game Recipes”