Venison Dog Jerky - even the dogs eat well

Elk, Moose, Deer - All sorts of venison
ca-archer
Site Admin

Venison Dog Jerky - even the dogs eat well

Postby ca-archer » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:50 pm

Recommended by my good friend Russ. The tenderloin sinew and other sinew slowly dried on a rack above the coal stove. I may try salting the next batch to see if I can get it to last a while longer, though we're on the East coast and the humidity often causes jerky to mold within a few weeks. Great treats for the dogs and they love it. Good for them too.

venison jerky for the dogs.jpg
venison jerky for the dogs.jpg (166.01 KiB) Viewed 1782 times

RockZ

Re: Venison Dog Jerky - even the dogs eat well

Postby RockZ » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:17 pm

Homemade venison jerky for your dogs? If the dogs eat that well, I can only imagine dinners for ya'll.
____>>>____
Rock On. RockZ.

ca-archer
Site Admin

Postby ca-archer » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:45 pm

RockZ
by no means do we always eat a gourmet dinner. most of the time we just try and whip something up, try to keep it somewhat healthy, but we tend to like our sweets here too. breads and well garlic might be another household favorite foods.

i do like trying to take care of the pups too. i would love to give them an all raw diet for a while compared to commercial dog food for I'm tired of loosing pets to cancer - all as in everyone that i can think of. Keeping up with preparing or getting raw meat and or the expense of buying is a big time consuming task as well. I of course would like to provide only venison but a lot of deer would be needed, so I give them what I can and when and this was a new treat i made for them this year. being two smaller dogs, I normally do save the smaller deer or doe shoulder blades for the dogs can gnaw on bone which is great for the teeth and calcium, but not have to worry about big bone splinters getting stuck in their stomachs. They love the big bones like the leg bone, especially the healthy marrow inside, but big pieces splinter and shatter and often they can't digest the bone and then puke it up.

RockZ

Postby RockZ » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:34 am

njrattler,
I think you're right about dog foods and cancers. I have lost two dogs to cancer and its sad. My dog o'l Kansas age 11 eats a good dog food my vet told me about but I never thought about replacing it with raw meat. It seems common sense being thats what they eat in the wild. I do give her fish pills and sometimes left over scraps of fish from dinner which helps her with her shinny coat.
____>>>____
Rock On. RockZ.

Russman

Postby Russman » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:27 pm

If you don't take care of the dogs, will they do the same for you? My guy's eat like kings and Queens. Between the wet food or soup as we call it to the sinew jerky strips and I know it looks like a fish but the esophagus Jerky how can you go wrong. Plus when you give it to your dog or before drying? What do you do with her put her in the county fair kissing booth of course lol. The nice part is all I put in the woods is skin and bones. Between us and the dogs all is consumed.
Attachments
20151027_211543-1.jpg
20151027_211543-1.jpg (3.46 MiB) Viewed 1753 times
20151027_211316.jpg
20151027_211316.jpg (5.58 MiB) Viewed 1753 times
20151017_104626.jpg
20151017_104626.jpg (4.74 MiB) Viewed 1753 times

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:54 pm

you or the dogs eat the tongue? remember an ol' timer telling me to cut out the tongue - I did a lousy job and it's not as easy as you would think to cut out.
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Russman

Postby Russman » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:59 pm

It is if you boil the whole head. But honestly I gave my guys eye balls this year, they both ate them no problem, and both got the poops no problem

k-villa

Postby k-villa » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:09 am

eye balls I'll leave to the vultures, same as the brains. I'll never say never, but for now and hopefully always unless I learn and am heavily convinced other wised.
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Return to “Big Game Recipes”