Venison Ribs - anyone know how

Elk, Moose, Deer - All sorts of venison
k-villa

Venison Ribs - anyone know how

Postby k-villa » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:48 am

Every time I have cooked up rib the fat has stuck to the roof of my mouth and leaves a bad taste. I've boiled to only bake/broil and still bad. Fred Bear had it right with campfire cooking ribs? What's the deal and how do I make good venison BBQ ribs? I just cut some for my brother-in-law today but I think he's in for a questionable meal....
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Russman

Re: Venison Ribs - anyone know how

Postby Russman » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:12 pm

Rule number one with eating venison ribs. Drink first not water not soda but a cocktail or a few beers, it will help get you past what you are eating lol. But for real I made them one time this year. I cut them I pulled as much of the fat away as possible put a dry rub on them and then put them into a tin foil bag and bake them at 285 degrees for about three or four hours, when they came out i lather them up with a little bit of barbecue sauce and then put them on the grill for a little bit of crunch. Honestly I have to say they were pretty good.

k-villa

Re: Venison Ribs - anyone know how

Postby k-villa » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:14 am

I don't want to have to have a drink prior to eating them. I'm wondering if fire cooking over a spit, if the flame would melt the fat and make better ribs. I remember reading Bear books about great tasting, the best and first eaten, caribou, sheep and I believe deer ribs cooked this way. We just need a way to get rid of that fat so it doesn't stick to the roof of your mouth. Tender fall off the bone is good too.

You have fat on the roof of your mouth which is what makes deer ribs the worst? Younger deer? Time of year killed / lots of fat?
Concept Believer - faith in your archery equipment
Concept P50 - 9 for 11 on gray squirrels
Both bows are tack drivers!

Return to “Big Game Recipes”