Muzzleloading for dummies

All Things that Shoot - Sling Shots, Pistols, Rifles, Cannons and Oddities
Up North

Muzzleloading for dummies

Postby Up North » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:32 am

What I like about this site is that there is a wealth of experience and knowledge on lots of topics in one place. Experts in one subject may be clueless in others.
I have always been intrigued by black powder/muzzleloading. We get a muzzleloader deer season right after the regular firearms season. I wouldn't mind getting in on some of that venison harvesting time, but I don't know the first thing about it. Anybody have some ideas on how to break into the sport, equipment I should look for, maintenance time, practice time involved? Money is always tight. Will that greatly limit my muzzleloading capabilities?
Concept Archery - The Believer
Concept Archery - Mini-29
Concept Archery - C-32

One of a kind, Hand made, Waterworth Hickory Longbow

ca-archer
Site Admin

Re: Muzzleloading for dummies

Postby ca-archer » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:48 pm

I think I'd like ol' school better than new school ML rifles.

Yooper

Postby Yooper » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:45 pm

My thoughts on this: Get yourself an Inline Muzzleloader Kit. The CVA Wolf is extremely affordable. The cost comes when you start buying powder, primers and bullets. If you want, I have this exact Muzzleloader and all the components. Let me know if you want to use it. Its really not that hard. Practice is a little different than cartridge loads. The Powder that is used burns much dirtier than smokless powders therefore cleaning is a must. I've been told that cleaning should be done after every shot but I've shot several times between cleanings. Maybe I'm wrong in this but I haven't had issues. I've never been able to harvest game with the muzzleloader but maybe you could!!!!

Up North

Postby Up North » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:38 pm

That would be awesome Yooper. Muzzleloader season doesn't extend my home gun season any, as I'm in the Metro area where the gun season runs long. But my northern hunting areas would be a great place for it. I can just see a giant cloud of smoke rolling over a couple feet of snow and a nice big buck on the other side 8-)
Concept Archery - The Believer
Concept Archery - Mini-29
Concept Archery - C-32

One of a kind, Hand made, Waterworth Hickory Longbow

Return to “Firearms and Shootables”